Bianca Miata - News
I finally finished writing my story about my Miata and I.
The car is finally painted, and the front mudflaps are installed. It's been a long process, and I haven't had much sleep while it'e been going on. Prepping the car for the painting took much longer than expected, and even putting things back together has been taking longer and longer. It's finally together though, and looks great. The front mudflaps really help the look, but make me want a painted front chin spoiler to match.
Putting the trunk rack back on was more trouble than I expected. The wellnuts used to mount the rack aren't re-usable, and I forgot to try to find new ones. I ended up putting most of the car together, and then driving around to find wellnuts once the car was drivable. I finally found ones that would do the trick at Home Depot. They weren't quite the same as the original ones, but they had the same thread, and outer diameter, so they worked. I had to buy longer screws though, because the wellnuts were longer than the originals.
I decided to go with M2 rear badges, after Greg pointed them out on his car. The M2 badges are smaller, and somehow more modern looking. I put them on opposite sides, like Greg did, so it says "Mazda" on the left, and "Miata" on the right, unlike stock M1's, where it's the other way around.
I haven't put any sticker or badge on the front yet. White 1990's came with a outline Mazda logo on the driver-side corner of the front bumper, just below the "line". I like it, but I haven't decided if I want to put a badge on the center of the bumper instead. I'm going to wait until Kelowna, and check out some cars there, see how different things look, before I decide what I want to do. I kind of think an M2 front badge might look good. I've got so many other M2 parts on my car, I may as well advertise the fact. :)
All that's left now, before I leave for Kelowna, is the bumper supports, and rear view mirror. A couple bolts broke off in the bumper supports, so they need to be drilled out before I can use them. I want to try to remove the rear view mirror too, and get Speedy Auto Glass to mount my new mirror on the windshield. Then I can just pop the M2 dome light into the mirror mount, without the electrical hooked up just yet.
I'm back from Kelowna, and had a wonderful time, despite numerous troubles.
On Thursday morning, the morning I was supposed to be leaving for Kelowna, my new RoadsterSport M1 exhaust arrived. I decided to stick around for an extra hour or so and get the exhaust installed before the trip up. Bad idea. While the exhaust was being put on, two studs on the cat broke off, leaving me with an undrivable car. The shop couldn't get the studs replaced until 4pm, and I was supposed to be in Kelowna for dinner around 5. I made a choice and bought a new cat. $150 later, I was on my way to Kelowna with a shiny new exhaust.
The fun didn't stop there, however. On Saturday, while driving "sportily" down Westside road, I noticed smoke in my rear view mirror. Quickly determining that it was from my car (aided by a call on the radio from Steve and Pete behind me), I pulled in to a pullout that was conveniently right in front of me, and quickly shut the car off. I jumped out and was greated by streamers of oily white smoke pouring out from under the hood. I instantly assumed the worst, and that I wouldn't be driving the car home. Thankfully, on closer inspection, it turned out that it was "only" the power steering system, so with the belt removed, at least the car would be drivable. Chris and Simas were already at the next photo stop, and heard what someone in a white car had broken down. They correctly assumed it was me, and drove back in the RX-7 "Miata Support Vehicle" to rescue me. Chris pulled the power steering belt off, and I was on my way, albeit without power steering. We made it back to the photo stop with 10 minutes to spare.
Unfortunatly, since the bolts were oily, and we were in a rush, they were never tightened properly. Throughout the rest of the weekend I was leaving bits and pieces of power steering hardware behind. The adjuster fell out somewhere, as did numerous bolts and bits of mounting hardware. This morning, on the way to work, I heard a rattle and had to stop to take another piece off before it fell off somewhere.
My troubles this weekend, combined with the oh-so-many other problems this car has had, have earned me a new nickname within the club: Cap'n Broken.
Oh, and I almost forgot. My front brakes need to be done now too. I'm down to the low-brake indicator things that squeek.
Last Updated:September 15th, 2004
Email me: firstname.lastname@example.org